About Me

My photo
I am a former elementary school teacher turned stay at home mom. I taught 5th grade for 7 years when I had my first child and decided to be a stay at home mom. I currently have a 3 and a 5 year old and am loving every minute of it.

Tuesday, January 28, 2014

Baked French Onion Soup

Baked French Onion Soup


While watching Food Network, I saw Melissa d"Arabian make baked french onion soup.  I literally got up from the couch and went to the kitchen to start making this soup immediately.  I knew I had all the ingredients on hand and she just made it look so good, I just had to have it for dinner.  

I started by chopping all the onions.  Make sure to slice them with the grain to hold their shape
Melt the butter and add the onions to the Dutch Oven.  You can also use a deep saucepan if you do not have a Dutch Oven.
Saute the onions with the top on for at least 90 minutes.  This is the longest step, I promise.
 
Almost there
Until they look like this
  
Sprinkle in the flour and cook for another minute or two.  Deglaze the pan with red wine and cook for another few minutes until slightly reduced.
Add the beef broth and bay leaf and cover for 10-15 minutes until hot
  
Ladle the coup to an oven safe bowl, top with bread and cheese.  Place under broiler until cheese is melted and slightly caramelized.
Ingredients

2 tablespoons unsalted butter
4 yellow onions (about 1 3/4 pounds), thinly sliced with the grain to hold their shape
Kosher salt
1 tablespoon chopped fresh thyme
1 bay leaf
1 teaspoon all-purpose flour (I usually use King Arthur Whole Wheat)
1/4 cup dry red wine
4 cups beef stock
1 teaspoon lemon juice
Freshly ground black pepper
1 teaspoon lemon juice
1/2 cup grated Swiss or 4 thick slices
Baguette slices, cut on the diagonal Optional



Directions

Melt the butter in a heavy-bottomed Dutch oven over medium-low heat. Add the onions; sprinkle with salt, cover and cook 10 minutes to get them going. Uncover, add the thyme and bay leaf, and continue cooking until the onions are deeply caramelized, 1 to 11/2 hours.

Turn the heat up to medium and sprinkle the onions with the flour. Stir and allow the flour to cook, 1 to 2 minutes. Deglaze the pan with the wine and allow to reduce. Add the beef stock, lemon juice, and simmer, about 10 minutes. Taste the soup, and add salt and pepper as needed.

Meanwhile, preheat the broiler to high. Ladle the soup into 4 ovenproof crocks.


 

No comments:

Post a Comment