About Me

My photo
I am a former elementary school teacher turned stay at home mom. I taught 5th grade for 7 years when I had my first child and decided to be a stay at home mom. I currently have a 3 and a 5 year old and am loving every minute of it.

Thursday, February 20, 2014

Healthy Biscuits and Gravy




I am a HUGE fan of biscuits and gravy.  If possible, I would probably eat them a few times a week for breakfast.  I never make them at home and pretty much only get them anytime I am down South.  I decided to try a healthy version of this fabulous dish and they turned out delicious! 

Start by browning the turkey sausage in a heavy bottom pan on medium high heat.  I use a cast iron skillet for pretty much everything.


Once the sausage is browned, remove with a slotted spoon and set aside.  Since the turkey is so lean there won't be much fat, add butter and olive oil to the pan. 


Sprinkle in flour and stir until there are no more clumps.  Cook for 1-2 minutes to cook out the raw flour taste.

 Add the milk slowly, constantly stirring to remove clumps.  Lower heat to medium low and cook for 10-12 minutes until the gravy had thickened and coats the back of a spoon.




 Add the sausage back to the gravy and add salt and pepper to taste.  Serve over warm biscuits.  I used store bought this time but have made this healthy version.
I also like LOTS of pepper in my gravy, but since I was making this for my young kids, I added a little pepper to the whole batch, and added more to my own serving.






Ingredients
  • 1lb of breakfast turkey sausage
  • 3 cups of skim milk
  • 2 heaping tablespoons of whole wheat flour (I like King Athur)
  • salt
  • pepper
  • 1 tablespoon of butter
  • 2-3 tablespoons of extra virgin olive oil
  • 8 Buttermilk Biscuits (store bought or homemade like these healthy ones here)
Directions
Brown the turkey sausage in a heavy bottom pan on medium high heat.  I use a cast iron skillet for pretty much everything. Once the sausage is browned, remove with a slotted spoon and set aside.  Since the turkey is so lean there won't be much fat, add butter and olive oil to the pan.  Sprinkle in flour and stir until there are no more clumps.  Cook for 1-2 minutes to cook out the raw flour taste.  Add the milk slowly, constantly stirring to remove clumps.  Lower heat to medium low and cook for 10-12 minutes until the gravy had thickened and coats the back of a spoon.  Add the sausage back to the gravy and add salt and pepper to taste.  Serve over warm biscuits.

1 comment:

  1. Thank you for this refresh on how to make biscuits and gravy . It's Muchly appreciated . I made some homemade biscuits that this will go lovely with .

    ReplyDelete